VMware vSphere Review

We've moved our secondary products to a virtualized environment. The web client in version 6.0, though, is inferior to the Windows client.

Valuable Features

• Training is really great
  • Ease of use
  • Ease of implementation

Improvements to My Organization

It's opened up new services for us that we can offer to our customers. We've moved all our secondary products to virtual environments, so we're able to offer other physical hardware, and have our system simplified.

Room for Improvement

I'm not a big fan of the web client, and would have liked to have had them stick with the Windows client, as the web one is quite a bit different.

It's very stable, and just works which is one of the reasons we went with it instead of MS Hyper-V. It's more robust and feature rich than Hyper-V too.

Very scalable, and we can serve a wide range of clients with budgets ranging from $20 million to $20 billion.

They're knowledgable, and willing to help, but it's not as instantaneous as I’d like, but they do eventally answer.

It's very easy. I wan't involved in the early stages, and I came in when v5 was in place and when lots of infrastructure was already set up.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I’d recommend it, but take time evaluating to see which parts you need, as it can be a little more expensive, but it seems to work. Also, be sure to have a lengthy POC.

Other Advice

Nothing’s perfect, and they are docked points for moving to a web client. Also, single sign-on is unfriendly, and there were growing pains.

2 Comments
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

The web client is different yes but once you get used to it you will find it just as good as the fat client. Took a bit for me but I love it and in version 6 it is the only way to see the linked Virtual Centers in one place.

21 October 15
Systems Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

Different is right but having a 'fat' client means more support and work for VMware, would rather than concentrate on hosting than client software. A Web site means that Linux, MAC and non-windows based shops can use the client as well..

Making people use windows to support Linux isn't a great idea at all.

21 October 15