VMware vSphere Review

It provides us a global standardization, ease of management on a global level, and helps our remote sites for those who don’t have a sufficient tech level. Training for it is expensive.

Valuable Features

Old school stuff - power savings, ability to consolidate, licensing savings, and ease of management. All the new features are great, but they’re just iterations of an already awesome product.

Improvements to My Organization

The core savings is huge and allows for quick and deep provisioning. It’s getting harder and harder to remember how physical servers work.

Room for Improvement

Ditch flash-based web client, make it HTML5. Would like more customization of the web client to make it do what I want. I occasionally flip to the old client because I know it. Web client is a better solution, but it's not done right.

Make training more accessible. Right now very expensive and hard to see the value. Lowering cost would be huge.

Extremely stable. There’s occasional bugs, but very rare.

Very scalable, eventually do run into licensing costs, but the platform itself is scalable, almost infinitely. The business around it limits scalability.

Used tech support on couple of occasions, but no system-down type issues, just minor bugs.

Easy to set up, not difficult, but more difficult to implement it the right way, especially for larger organizations, but that’s just knowing the platform. You have to do homework, and know what you’re doing. If you link vCenter, you must make sure, for example, to do it correctly (like MS SQL, you must know to separate logs and data files, etc.).

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It loses points on cost, as there are free solutions, but we don’t want to use them.

Other Advice

Depending on the size and budget, if there's a smaller shop with less money, and you could get by with just a couple VMs, vSphere would be difficult to recommend. But if you're larger with more money, it’s the best platform for virtualization and cloud integration. VMware is further along than anyone else in this regard.