VMware vSphere Review

We can take one server, virtualize it, and put 12 VMs on it, and have them play different roles. The web client, however, should move from flash-based to HTML5.

Valuable Features

• HA
  • DRS
  • Storage IO control
  • vMotion
  • Storage vMotion

Improvements to My Organization

On the server virtualization side, we’re able to provide more services with less resources because we can take one server, virtualize it, and put 12 virtualized machines on it, and have them play different roles. It’s allowed us to do more with less.

Room for Improvement

The web client could use some tweaks, and the should move from flash-based to HTML5.

It's very stable, no hiccups that weren’t addressed by support and updates, no show stoppers.

It's highly scalable. We needed to add HP hardware, and an HR cluster to accommodate recent growth, and it was just as simple as adding to the cluster, so highly scalable.

It's responsive, but a few times we had issues with their tech knowledge and troubleshooting steps. We had to escalate the issue and then it was resolved.

It was straightforward.

Other Advice

It's a good solid product. If I had to virtualize anything, it would be my choice and and would use anything like MS Hyper-V.

Make sure hardware on compatability matrix that VMware uses, because if use something not on list, will run into driver issues unnecessarily. And if planning a brand new data center, those are things you want to look at.