VMware vSphere Review

Delivery time for a server resource to the organization has been reduced from weeks to minutes, though I'd like to see an additional licensing model based on size restraints rather than function.

What is most valuable?

It's a stable product, e.g. if I lose the entire SAN all the VMs still run. They might pause but only after they try to write to disk. After the SAN has been reconnected, VMs resume as if nothing happened.

How has it helped my organization?

As I work as a consultant for Advania Sweden, I meet a lot of different customers with different challenges. But all customers can agree that delivery time for a server resource to the organization has been reduced from weeks to minutes.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an additional licensing model based on size restraints rather than functionality. Also, a foundation licensing model that includes both NSX (Network virtualization) and VSAN (SAN virtualization) but with size restrictions. Then my SMB customers could benefit from our large customers' features.

I’ve been using VMware’s virtualization solutions since 2001, and I haven’t found a more sturdy solution yet, and I have tried most of them out there. Due to its stability, it’s one of the cheapest, if you look at the total operating cost. You can even replace the underlying hardware without downtime.

None, and I do all my deployments from either USB or PXE.

Only one time due to a bad third-party network driver, but here VMware’s technical support showed it’s colors and the matter was resolved quickly and smoothly.

Not yet, but I haven’t gone full scale yet with VM in the 10K area.

They respond to emails quickly and resolve my problems (most licensing issues in the past).

As well as the network issue, when we had to restore a SQL database with the wrong parameters they sorted it out.

I’ve tried a lot of different solutions, as a consultant my specialty is incident and disasters, I've been assisting in trouble shooting and most of then had switch to VMware due to it’s reliability.

If you don’t have a complex infrastructure you can do a next, next, finish installation and it would run fine.

I always install it myself since I like to run the latest software before i go to production. If there are any hiccoughs, I like to deal with them in pre-production, rather than finding them when I upgrade later on.

My customers ROI lies between three and nine months.

When you do a budget make sure to include administration time, what level of SLA they require and based on that choose right level of features.

• OracleVM
  • Citrix Xen
  • Proxmox
  • Hyper-V

What other advice do I have?

• Make sure you have a strategy so you could utilize a hybrid cloud solution as you grow.
  • Build your segments as managers and users
  • Look beyond licensing cost and calculate administration and support time
  • Make sure you have a good naming strategy that can scale - I had a customer that named his hosts after the seven sins in the bible, so when he needed to grow beyond seven hosts he had to invent an eighth.
More VMware vSphere reviews from users
...who compared it with Hyper-V