VMware vSphere Review

We can spin up VMs within hours instead of going through a paper trail of physical servers and install process, reducing our procurement timeline.

What is most valuable?

It gives us great management capability and it integrates well with NetApp storage.

How has it helped my organization?

There's a lot of expertise within the legal industry for VMware, and we’re early adopters of VMware since 2.0.

Also, we can spin up VMs within hours instead of going through a paper trail of physical servers and install process. This has drastically reduced our procurement timeline.

What needs improvement?

It's hard to say because now that Dell acquired EMC, which owns VMware, we have to see how that flushes out.

It just works, and is not buggy.

It scales well.

It's pretty good, and because we don’t use them much, this reflects on how well the product works.

We used a third-party installer, which made it straightforward. But it was complex because of planning involved.

What other advice do I have?

Understand your requirements and see how it fits in, especially with Hyper-V as a competitor. Take into account third-party support.