VMware vSphere Review

We are able to scale up with densities of 10:1 or 20:1. Stability and manageability need improvement.

What is most valuable?

• Core virtualizaton
  • Basic hypervisor functions with HA

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to scale up far better with densities of 10:1 or 20:1 and provide robust, flexible computing to our increasing application demands.

What needs improvement?

Stability and manageability need improvement. The core product has not changed much over the years and has large deficiencies in manageability and how they implement certain features. The basic hypervisor works OK, but all the management and bolt-on products have issues and at times overwhelm the core hypervisor.

I've used it for seven years.

We have repeated reliability issues with anything other than core functionality.

SRM has been a disappointment in its scalability and reliability.

We pay for business critical support and that is still bad. I think VMware's biggest weakness is their support organization - 5/10.

We had Hyper-V, but the older versions had issues. When the 2016 version releases, we are going to re-evaluate it.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward.

We did most of the implementation ourselves, but we did have some initial consultation on some design thoughts.

VMware is consistently expensive and their pricing arrogance is what will drive us and other customers away. Compared to physical systems, it is a bargain, but compared to other solutions, it is losing its appeal due to pricing.

What other advice do I have?

The core hypervisor is decent. Many issues will be with management and bolt-on products.