VMware vSphere Review

Helps to migrate from one storage vendor to another. Moves virtual machines off of arrays for maintenance or upgrade.

What is most valuable?

• Storage vMotion helps a lot when migrating from one storage vendor to another
  • Storage vMotion migrates a virtual machine and its disk files from one data store to another while the virtual machine is running, with no down time.
  • We can move virtual machines off of arrays for maintenance or upgrade
  • We have the flexibility to optimize disks for performance or to transform disk types

How has it helped my organization?

We migrated our storage from IBM DS4700 & V7000 to VNX 5400 smoothly through storage vMotion.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see data recovery responsible for the virtual machine snapshot. It is not reliable as the parent snapshot gets corrupted and the whole corresponding snapshots collapse.

We have been using this solution since 2009.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The initial setup is straightforward. The only complexity appears with inherited network security policies.

Pricing is a little bit high, but you have to value stability, scalability and the support level which are the most valuable parts of any solution.

What other advice do I have?

Choose VMware to gain the proper stability, scalability, and flexibility with premium support.