VMware vSphere Review

Facilitated our disaster recovery by easy replication of the VM images.

How has it helped my organization?

The most important accomplishment was the cost savings that were achieved by server consolidation and eliminating dependency on the physical server's environment. This also facilitated our disaster recovery by easy replication of the VM images from one site to another.

What is most valuable?

VMware's high availability which supports our SLA, VMware on the fly features like LUN expansion, P2V and API integrations are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The solution could benefit by expanding the CPUs and memory from different physical nodes. A more mature dashboard is needed; currently, we rely on third-party VM Management Solutions but most of the features have matured since we first started using it in 2007.

In the early years, we faced few issues but in the last four years, the environment has been quite stable.

The software has been scalable, most of it depends on the physcial server's capacity.

Technical support has been excellent.

We did not use another solution; we started out with VMware and we now have Hyper-V and VMware.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Pricing needs to be competitive since Microsoft Hyper-V has come a long way; they are both around the same price range.

We did not evaluate other solutions, it was the only leading product in 2007.

What other advice do I have?

If you need to meet your business SLA, then there is no second choice in virtualization to give you peace of mind; it is easy to manage, scalable, stable and has APIs to integrate with all the backup solutions.

1 visitor found this review helpful
3 Comments
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Nice review. It will be interesting to see where things go with Hyper-V for sure.

21 August 17
HenryReal UserTOP REVIEWERTOP 5

Which solution could backup huge VM volume?

21 August 17
KathyCReal UserTOP 20

Nice review! Curious about your VM replication - is your second site a DR facility such as SunGard? Do you utilize VMware's SRM?
Thanks!