VMware Workspace ONE Review

Secure, easy to use, centrally managed, and works well

What is our primary use case?

We deploy AirWatch on the mobile devices of our employees.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way our organization functions. It provides security. If you're giving phones to your employees, you want the platform to be secure. If an employee loses his or her phone or someone steals it, the data on the phone itself is secured because you can just centrally disable everything. So, you only lose the device but not the data. If you lose your phone and there is no AirWatch in it, you need to find other creative ways to disable or get your phone back.

It allows companies to apply rules related to company policy. You can use your phone like a normal device with the exception that it is being monitored by the company, which I don't mind because I use the phone exclusively for work.

What is most valuable?

You can put all your applications on a mobile device, be it a phone or tablet. It is secure and easy to use. Because it is centrally managed, you don't have to do any configuration on the phone. I just got the phone and connected to the central applications. I just downloaded one thing and everything got rolled out. Email, calendar, and other things were deployed centrally. If you don't have AirWatch, you have to configure your phone manually. For example, you need to deploy and configure your email manually and then synchronize everything. It is much simpler when a mobile device is centrally managed.

What needs improvement?

Its performance is quite good on Apple phones or even mid-range phones. If you install an AirWatch on a phone that is not too powerful, you will have performance issues. That's because the phone is not too powerful, and there is not enough memory, etc. They could do a lighter version for a less powerful phone. It would also be useful for very small companies that don't want to spend money on expensive phones. Having said that, I don't think that is their target market. If their target market is enterprise, all enterprises perhaps have an agreement with Google or Apple, and they would get a phone that has already been tested, and they know that AirWatch will work on that phone.

I have been using this solution for three months.

It is stable. There are no issues or bugs at this moment. In the earlier versions, there were some bugs, but they have fixed those. My experience is only with iOS, and it seems stable. I have got an Apple device. iOS is a quite stable platform, and they have tuned it to work really well with iOS and even Android.

My company is quite big, and it seems good for big companies. It is for the enterprise environment. You won't use AirWatch for one or two individuals. You use it when you have a quite sizable mass of employees. In our company, it is being used by sales professionals, VPs, and C-levels.

I have not used their technical support. After you do the installation, usually you shouldn't have any problem unless there is a hardware issue with the phone itself. If there is any problem with AirWatch, they should be able to fix it from there because everything is centrally managed.

When I joined the company, they gave me the phone and asked me to install AirWatch, so that was it.

It is quite straightforward for technical and non-technical people. You just press next and read what you're doing, and that's it. It is nothing too complex.

It is quite expensive, but I think large companies have agreements with these organizations that provide remote monitoring for phones, and they get massive discounts. The public price does not reflect what they pay. You won't get the same pricing if you're buying for 10 employees versus 1,000 employees. On the public price, you get perhaps a 10% discount, but if you're buying 1,000, the discount could be really massive, especially if you signed a contract for a number of years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate AirWatch a nine out of ten. It is quite good, and I have a good experience with it. The phone has never failed, so it is working well.

Private Cloud

Other
More VMware Workspace ONE reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Jamf Pro
Learn what your peers think about VMware Workspace ONE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.