VMware Workstation Review

I have found this product excellent for quick test/dev environments.

What is our primary use case?

This product is solid and useful for quick test/dev environments.

Found replicating client application upgrades and compatibility tests within a virtual environment makes upgrades very successful.

We also use it for custom application testing to ensure compatibility and smooth transitions.

How has it helped my organization?

Since I work with so many different customers, I deal with many operating systems and workstation configurations. When performing upgrades to servers, applications, windows, etc., I need to know the ramifications before we go live with production.

Creating labs has been useful for my employees when working on certifications.

I am also not a big fan of adding and removing software over and over on my laptop, so I use my VM's when I need a temporary application installed. It also keeps the clutter down, keeping my main tools fast and efficient.

They also come in handy when cleaning infected thumb drives.

What is most valuable?

I have found this product excellent for test/dev environments. This is 90% of what I use this product for.

What needs improvement?

I have had issues with the virtual network adapters in the past that has taken some time to troubleshoot.

Three to five years.

I have encountered stability issues with the virtual networks and have had run into issue with copying or moving VMs. Usually these all work great 9 out of 10 times, but when it doesn't work right it become very time consuming to fix and troubleshoot.

None thus far.

8 out of 10. Good SR system to communicate through emails and phone support.

Setup is very easy.

Using workstation saves money on big hardware using vSphere just for test/dev.

The pricing is a bit steep in my opinion for testing and there are other options.  None however that are so powerful and easy to use.

1 visitor found this review helpful
3 Comments
author avatarSystems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
TOP 20Consultant

Yes. Your review helped. thanks.

author avatarChris Childerhose
ExpertTOP 5Real User

Nice review. Always good to see the Workstation side for VMware.

author avatarNetworks Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

VMware workstation is best tool for virtualization for students/home users. I have been using this tool for more than three years for my test/dev environments. If you are new to virtualization then i'll sugguest you should use this one. It's simple and easy to use,