VMware Workstation Review

I have found this product excellent for quick test/dev environments.

What is our primary use case?

This product is solid and useful for quick test/dev environments.

Found replicating client application upgrades and compatibility tests within a virtual environment makes upgrades very successful.

We also use it for custom application testing to ensure compatibility and smooth transitions.

How has it helped my organization?

Since I work with so many different customers, I deal with many operating systems and workstation configurations. When performing upgrades to servers, applications, windows, etc., I need to know the ramifications before we go live with production.

Creating labs has been useful for my employees when working on certifications.

I am also not a big fan of adding and removing software over and over on my laptop, so I use my VM's when I need a temporary application installed. It also keeps the clutter down, keeping my main tools fast and efficient.

They also come in handy when cleaning infected thumb drives.

What is most valuable?

I have found this product excellent for test/dev environments. This is 90% of what I use this product for.

What needs improvement?

I have had issues with the virtual network adapters in the past that has taken some time to troubleshoot.

Three to five years.

I have encountered stability issues with the virtual networks and have had run into issue with copying or moving VMs. Usually these all work great 9 out of 10 times, but when it doesn't work right it become very time consuming to fix and troubleshoot.

None thus far.

8 out of 10. Good SR system to communicate through emails and phone support.

Setup is very easy.

Using workstation saves money on big hardware using vSphere just for test/dev.

The pricing is a bit steep in my opinion for testing and there are other options.  None however that are so powerful and easy to use.

1 visitor found this review helpful
3 Comments
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employeesReal UserTOP 10

Yes. Your review helped. thanks.

11 March 16
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Nice review. Always good to see the Workstation side for VMware.

11 March 16
Networks Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employeesReal User

VMware workstation is best tool for virtualization for students/home users. I have been using this tool for more than three years for my test/dev environments. If you are new to virtualization then i'll sugguest you should use this one. It's simple and easy to use,

24 April 16