VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Review

The stability is very bad. It crashes. The tech support knows the IIS component is a bit buggy.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for automating the deployment of multiple virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

Our purchase unit had a lot fears in upgrading their environment into production, so we customized it for them. What we did was virtualized the production environment and set it up to the Lab Manager. Then, they could test on Lab Manager on the application, including upgrades, updates, etc.

What is most valuable?

The customer can set up multiple machine blueprints. Therefore, we are able to customize the template of three machines, then the customer can deploy without knowing anything about the IT business.

What needs improvement?

It is not intuitive nor easy to use. Lab Manager was very intuitive, and it was built with VMware functions. However, VMware vRealize Automation bought it, and we have not been happy with it. We would like them to go back to the Lab Manager that we used to use.

The stability on the 6.2 version is very bad. It crashes. VMware tech support knows the IIS component is a bit buggy.

We have 30 virtual machines.

The technical support is okay.

The initial setup is very complex because we have a bunch of customization workflows. They were built-in features that we had to program as code with Orchestration.

We haven't upgraded because we had to set up the entire environment with the vRealize Orchestration scripts. We have to do it again from the scratch.

We used a reseller for the deployment who was great.

What other advice do I have?

I think we will be leaving the platform.

For our business case, it was the wrong product, but there was nothing else on the market at the time. When we deployed our virtual machines, we had a very big template with 30 to 40 machines. It was difficult to configure all the virtual machines and blueprints. It was locked when it was deployed with vShield, and now, there is NSX and vShield is no longer supported.

6.2
More VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Red Hat, Cisco and others in Cloud Management. Updated: January 2021.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.