VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Review

We are able to provision VMs much faster than before

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is building a self-service portal for students at our university. It has performed quite well up until now.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to provision VMs much faster than before. Therefore, students can click VMs, submit their form, and VMs will be provisioned automatically.

What is most valuable?

It's quite user friendly. Everyone can use it, even non-technical people. This is good, since we use it to build a self-service portal which even users with not a lot of technical background can use.

What needs improvement?

We upgraded twice. The last upgrade was a bit problematic.

Up until now, it has been quite stable. However, we have not pushed it to its boundaries.

Its scalability looks good, but we have not experienced it yet.

So far, technical support has been quite good. I have reached quite competent employees of VMware who have helped me a lot.

We did not use another product previously.

We had to invest in a new solution because we had to react faster to customer demands. Previously, it took a long time from requesting a new virtual machine to provisioning it. Now, it is much quicker for the customer.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We deployed it ourselves.

It made the provisioning of the virtual machines easier and faster. We can react more quickly to customers' demands.

We did not evaluate anything else. We have so many VMware products that it was a logical conclusion for us to chose this one.

What other advice do I have?

We are overall satisfied with the product.

Give it a try. Try it out in the labs from VMware. Evaluate it quite deeply, and see if it fits for your purpose or company.