vRealize Log Insight Review

A scalable solution that works well with VM products, but has limitations in terms of usability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the solution is for log management.

What is most valuable?

We are using it because we have a VMware product. It has its own built-in dashboards for VMware products, and that's a good thing. Also, filtering logs is very easy and extracting fields from the data is also very straightforward with Log Insight.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a very good tool, but it has a lot of limitations. One of the main issues is around how you define your retention policy, for instance. It doesn't have it. You can't define a log retention policy. You also can't define the destination or location for your logs. All of the logs are in one index or one bucket.

For example, if you have a different set of logs, which you want to have different rotation policies for, you can't do that. You have to create multiple clusters if you want to do this, and then the problem is that you will end up having multiple classes, and you can't access all of them centrally.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is pretty stable.

The solution is scalable. Right now, we have about ten people on it.

Technical support is okay. It's not really great, but it is okay. We have no issue with them. We only ever had to contact technical support once and it was resolved in the end.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Deployment took a couple of days.

We are not paying extra for the solution because it was part of our bundle. That was one of the reasons we used it. There was no extra cost for us.

We started using this product because we wanted to have something up and running. We are currently evaluating other products now, as well, even though we are continuing to use this solution. We are looking at ELK among others.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution six or seven out of ten. It's very easy to use, but at the same time it has some limitations. You have to consider that if you decide to try out the solution.