vRealize Log Insight Review

Has good dashboards and is simple to install and connect to the environment

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premises version of this solution for log analysis and to find details about certain issues. My experience, however, is that Log Insight is not user friendly. You have to know a lot to find out how it works.

What needs improvement?

Documentation is lacking, including some guides as to how to use the expressions. It is not clear how to look for a log, for example. Some examples in the documentation might be helpful. I think that VMware had good documentation, but it's no longer hosted. The documentation is not as easy to understand as it was before.

Log Insight has a good dashboard, where you can search for a log. However, it is difficult at the beginning for the administrator to understand it. I asked my colleague how often they use this tool and they said, "It is very difficult to find something in the tool. You need to know what you are looking for." This might be the part that should be improved.

The interactive analyzer feature should also be improved.

We've been using this solution for about two years.

It's very stable. I've never had any critical issue. There might have been some bugs, of course, but nothing critical.

I can't say how scalable Log Insight is because we do not have a big installation, although the solution works well enough for us. I never scaled out with Log Insight.

We have about ten VMware administrators.

In general, I am satisfied with their technical support. I contacted technical support many times and everything was resolved. I don't have any bad feelings with technical support. I think it's very good, although it depends on who are you talking with. Some technical engineers have more experience than others, so it depends.

It was very easy to setup. I didn't have any problem with that. Log Insight is simple to install and connect to the environment, but the problem arises when you want to look for some information. This is a large problem because the documentation and examples on the internet don't give us so as much information as we need.

Pricing could always be lower. If it were free, I would be more satisfied.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight of ten.