vRealize Log Insight Review

Good interface and log search functionality but could use better pricing

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for a basic login switch.

It's a centralized login server for us. When we have some incident or some log that we want to query, instead of querying directly to its server we analyze the logs and create our own specific queries.

What is most valuable?

The log search functionality is very good.

The alerts, based on patterns, is quite useful.

The interface of the solution is good.

The dashboard offers good functionality.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be improved.

The vRealize content packs should be able to pass more information from the UNIX log.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The stability of the solution is good.

We have some issues regarding space management. We may need to get fully comfortable with the idea of deleting the old logs. We usually have some issues with space and it requires more intervention.

We've been in contact with technical support in the past. They're quite good. We're satisfied with the level of service we've been provided.

We're also using Elastic's X-Pack. There aren't too many differences between the solutions. To me, they are almost the same in terms of offering and functionality. The biggest difference is that Log Insight has some items built-in and Elestci requires you to do a few things yourself.

The initial setup of the solution, as far as I can recall, was straightforward. There wasn't much complexity involved.

What other advice do I have?

I personally am not actively using the solution for searching for logs or creating log analysis. I'm just using it for a few needs here and there when we have some requirements.

It depends on a company's use cases, but I would advise that if they've got the infrastructure and it is all based on VMware, they should use Log Insight despite the price. I personally have more preference for the open-source tools but because of the price, also. However, Log Insight is quite good and very useful.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's a good product, but it has room for improvement and could improve upon the pricing.

More vRealize Log Insight reviews from users