vRealize Network Insight Review

Allowed us to set up NSX without having to determine each port and IP address that should have access or be blocked

What is our primary use case?

We used it for our VDI solution to track down all of the network beginning and endpoints.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to set up NSX and to do microsegmentation, without all of the pain points of having to determine each port and each IP address that needed to have access, and which ones needed to be blocked.

It also sped up our time to value. It brought the time it took to implement way down to a number of days, instead of a number of weeks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is that insight into what our network is really doing - it's a fairly complex network. Not having to go through thousands of lines of network configuration to find firewall ports that were open or closed, for various ports, was very valuable.

It went out and found everything we need very quickly. It did everything we needed it to do.

What needs improvement?

After you use it for a little while you become accustomed to it but the layout doesn't feel very intuitive. You have to dig around and find the exact place where you can find the information, where you can actually see your east-west traffic, etc.

I would like them to bring that information more to the forefront, instead of having to find it.

Once you have learned how to use everything, it becomes easy to use.

It was very stable. In bringing it up we did not have any issues.

I have not been able to get an accurate impression of the scalability. We only use it across one network. It's a large network, so it seems to have scaled for that. I don't know how it would scale for something even larger than what we have currently.

We actually had a technician on site. He was very quickly able to get with the other levels of technical support to get answers for us to any questions he was not able to answer.

We ended up going with VMware and a VDI solution and this product was a recommendation alongside of that. We looked at it and it looked like it would do the job.

The initial setup was very easy to do. But we did have the technician there, walking us through the whole process. He was familiar with it. But it was not that difficult of a setup.

We have not had the opportunity to upgrade to a newer version.

It prevented us from having to spend about $5,000,000 on new desktops and laptops. It cut that down to about a quarter of that price.

Because it looked like it would do the job, we didn't look at anything else.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of 10. I might give it a higher rating if we used it more. We used it for a period of time and then we stopped using it. There was nothing wrong with it, we just didn't use it enough to see it as a 10 out of 10.

The most important criterion when selecting a vendor is finding one who will actually give what is promised.