vRealize Network Insight Review

Enables us to set up appropriate rules to make sure we comply with our security frameworks

What is our primary use case?

For us, it's for a security tool, to analyze flows and network traffic and to try to progress along the path of microsegmentation.

In terms of monitoring network flows, if we're trying to set up microsegmentation rules in our distributed firewall, we'll say, "Okay, let's just start with a case." We'll try to isolate an app, and isolate all the network traffic there. We'll analyze it, validate or do discovery using vRNI, and then set up the appropriate rule.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled us to set up and do application discovery, as far as network traffic is concerned, and set up the appropriate rules that we need to make sure we're compliant with our security frameworks.

What is most valuable?

We have the real-time updates that we can see, so that's been pretty valuable. The mapping is really good, so that has also been a pretty good feature for us.

What needs improvement?

It's somewhat user-friendly but some of the data that's presented is not always clear. But that's like any tool. You just have to get used to using it.

The stability is great. There is no problem with it.

The scalability is fine.

We invested in NSX, so we wanted a tool that would give us visibility into that virtual layer.

When selecting a vendor what's important for us is whether they are able to fulfill the requirements that we have defined in our business case.

What other advice do I have?

There's no real advice. You'll know if you need something like this or not. You don't just purchase it and then hope for the best. You have a use case for it.