vRealize Network Insight Review

Enables us to see Layer 3-bounded network traffic that we wouldn't otherwise be able to see

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is to identify different types of traffic that are in the network and identify what policies we need to apply to meet our security requirements.

The performance has been excellent.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely helped us to meet compliance rules by assuring that all traffic is going to where it's supposed to go. It can be used to report that you are in compliance, as well as helping you get into compliance. We use it on an ongoing basis to show our clients in our cloud that traffic is not going to them that isn't supposed to be. We have customers that have to be assured that our environment is safe for them, and it gives them that confidence, that knowledge. We retain customers longer.

It has reduced time to value for sure because it would be very hard to do this any other way. We would have to sniff packets, and that's just very labor intensive.

What is most valuable?

It allows you to see traffic that you couldn't otherwise see, which is traffic within your Layer 3-bounded network, meaning east-west traffic. It's hard to get that any other way.

To monitor the network flows, all you have to do is install it. It has an OVA that you deploy to vCenter, and then it will sit there, and it will listen on the network, and it will catch traffic within the virtual environment.

It is user-friendly. It's pretty simple to deploy and to run. It gives you pretty easy-to-understand reports, very graphically intense, so you can visualize what's going on in your network.

What needs improvement?

Reporting could be a little bit smoother. I would like it to be more intuitive to create a report that would automatically send stuff out on a periodic basis; for a management-oversight reports and the like. You can probably do that right now, I just haven't figured it out in the interface yet.

It's very stable. The way that it deploys and the way that it performs, it does exactly what it's supposed to do.

I don't know that I can speak to the issue of scalability, to a giant enterprise level, but we have quite a few servers in our farm, and virtual machines, and it has scaled well to that.

My experience with technical support has been very good. The amount of time it takes for them to get back to you truly depends on each incident. For me, it wasn't an emergency situation, so it took a couple of days. But if we do have a situation where something is down, then they get back to us immediately.

In term of customer service, we are a VMware partner, so we get different customer service than other people do, but ours is very good.

There wasn't really anything similar to this before. We knew that there were things going on, but we really couldn't tell. We didn't know how to get at it and, when we found this solution, it was a no-brainer that we were going to try it. They give you a trial version on it so you can see if it's going to be of value to you before you purchase it. It showed its value right away. This solution came to us. We weren't actively searching for it at that particular time.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor, for us, are that

• we know the vendor has been around
  • we have confidence in them
  • they have a good support system.

We are always going to have issues with products, so if they can help us overcome those issues, then we're much happier with the product.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's set-it-and-forget-it.

Cost always has room for improvement, you could always make it cheaper. But I think it's a good value for what you pay for it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner-consultant.