vRealize Network Insight Review

It is a cost-effective solution because we now spend less time investigating network flows

What is our primary use case?

I use it to monitor and log the traffic for our virtual servers. We are migrating our virtual servers into a new software-defined data center from a legacy infrastructure. When I migrate the reports into the new infrastructure, I use vRealize Network Insight to monitor or log the traffic from the servers and implement those reports into the NSX firewall. Therefore, our servers will be ready for our migration into our new data center.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have a lot less administration after implementing the new service or removing an old system from our new software-defined data center. It has removed investigation time into ports and server traffic on virtual machines. Thus, it saves time.

Network and management is so much better within this solution and the whole software-defined network when we use NSX. I also manage the NSX firewall which flags the security in NSX. A lot of time is saved when you use this type of software solution for the network. We have moved systems into the new data center and the servers and systems are much faster because of the very low latency between virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

I can see the network traffic which is being used by the servers that we are going to move into our new data center. This avoids an investigation and asking administrators of the system which ports they need open, since I am able to see it beforehand (before I move the servers) and implement all firewall routes.

I use the flowchart to see the network flows which are going in and out of the servers. I export this information into an Excel worksheet and remove common traffic ports, which we are implementing for every virtual machine.

The solution is very intuitive. I know junior consultants who easily use it and don't have much experience.

What needs improvement?

I want to be able to monitor a network flow that is approximately two weeks back, but I haven't found an easy way to do this. Right now, I am not getting the result I want. So, I want to see the timeline two weeks back from now, including all the flows. I haven't figured out how to do this. If this is not possible now, maybe in the next release, as this would be a very nice function for me.

It has never been unstable nor gone down.

It suits us perfectly and scales with our departments.

I have no personal experience working with technical support.

We used a reseller and our experience with them was good. They implemented our entire software-define data center.

We have spent less time investigating network flows, so it is absolutely cost-effective.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great solution.

You do need knowledge and understanding of network traffic, protocols, and ports to understand when you do a search, since you receive flowcharts about the ports in use. This is more technical knowledge of how your network works. However, the tool is very much intuitive.

2 Comments
author avatarPravin Goyal

Hi Odd Tore Sorensen,
I am Pravin, product manager on vRealize Network Insight team. This is regarding your review https://www.itcentralstation.com/product_reviews/vrealize-network-insight-review-53316-by-odd-tore-sorensen

We would like to reach out to you and understand your requirements. We would like to understand how you use the product today and could help you go back a few weeks back and analyze the flows. The feature is right there.

Please do reach out to me at my email (my first name followed by my last name's first character (no dot in between)at vmware) and I will setup a meeting with you.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks and regards,
Pravin Goyal

author avatarOdd Tore Sorensen

I am now able to monitor a network flow in a specific timeline.
I achieved this with the excellent help from you in the vRealize Network Insight team.
Thank you!