Vmware logo

vRealize Operations (vROps) Review
You can use it to see the whole perspective or troubleshoot an individual VM.

Valuable Features:

• Troubleshooting: All the way from the cluster level down to the VM, you can see it as a whole perspective or troubleshoot the individual VM.
  • Creating custom dashboards
  • Customer reporting

We use it to monitor CPU and memory usage. We also monitor our storage for latency, and things like that.

For the most part, we have not used the new features in version 6, such as integration with DRS and capacity planning.

Improvements to My Organization:

It has helped identify bottlenecks and contention. One of them was a storage issue; trying to find out what VMs were pulling the highest latency or a highest IOPS, and narrowing it down from there. It also identifies any type of CPU contention ready time or memory issues.

Room for Improvement:

The biggest improvement I'd like to see is when you create custom dashboards, there isn’t an easy way to specify custom time settings. When you create a dashboard, it is always statically set for a specific time frame versus specifying a different time frame.
The other improvement would be to be able to create a custom report out of a dashboard you just created.

We do a little bit of reporting. We'd like to get a little more, though.

I'm going to mess with 6.3; maybe it's better. It's improved, but I don't know how much yet.

Stability Issues:

It's very stable. I'm having no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

I haven't really had an issue with it scaling out. We have over 5,000 VMs. No issues.

I've not used technical support for vROps.

Previous Solutions:

We were using a little bit of SolarWinds, which was probably the biggest one that we're using at the time.

You can get a lot more granular with vROps, and it's made for what we need specifically, for VMware.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup was straightforward. It was very simple; right out of the box, it worked. We've been using vROps since they first came out with 5.0 and 5.5. It's come along way with 6.0.

I don’t have any issues with configurations. Once you understand how the templates and the reporting stuff works – once you understand how that comes together – then it's pretty simple to do the reports.

Other Advice:

Give it the good 30-day time frame to mess with it and see what it has to offer. Take advantage of the free trial.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About vRealize Operations (vROps)?

Our experts can help. 233,256 professionals have used our research on 5,881 solutions.