Vmware logo

vRealize Operations (vROps) Review
It shows us where we're running out of computing resource capacity. I would like it to interact more with vCenter and apply changes.

Valuable Features:

Capacity planning: Seeing where the hot spots are in our enterprise and where we're running out of computing resource capacity and what we need to address at a glance.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's helped us be more proactive rather than reactive.

I also use it for performance management. We've used it a lot of times to justify to other teams that own VMs whether or not their VMs are oversized or right-sized. We've been able to reclaim capacity by using data from vROps, so that's been very helpful. Being able to reclaim capacity means you can run more efficiently.

It might have indirectly helped us avoid outages through making sure that we have capacity.

Room for Improvement:

They could look at some of their competitors and take some lessons there on, for example, having vROps be a little bit more interactive with your vCenter and actually apply changes for you, and be more proactive in utilizing the resources that you have.

It's really good at monitoring, but it's not fantastic at helping you resolve issues. It sometimes seems overly complicated to figure out what's wrong. If you're troubleshooting a problem, it can get pretty complicated to figure out where to go, where to look, and give you that information easily.

Stability Issues:

It's very stable. I haven't had it go down unexpectedly or anything.

Scalability Issues:

I haven't had any problem with scalability. We're not a huge shop. I have about 1,000 VMs and about 80 hosts, and it, I'm sure, can handle a lot more than that.

I have used technical support. I actually have a case open as I’m giving this review. It's unresolved, after about a week and a half, so it’s not great. I think they released some modules for vROps that don't quite work right. There's some particular cases for the SQL plug-in. It's not working as advertised and they're trying to figure it out.

Previous Solutions:

We were using SolarWinds, which was a pretty good product. vROps got kind of bundled with another VMware solution, so the price was right. You need something to monitor your enterprise. You can't be looking into every cluster and every vCenter that you have; then you have stuff everywhere. Centralized monitoring was really why we switched.

Initial Setup:

It was a pretty simple setup. It just takes a while to gather useful information out of it. They even say it's about 30 days before you can actually really do anything with the information coming out of it.

Other Solutions Considered:

VMTurbo was on our short list at the time.

Other Advice:

When selecting a vendor like VMware, the most important criteria is whether it works.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About vRealize Operations (vROps)?

Our experts can help. 222,390 professionals have used our research on 5,674 solutions.