vSphere Review
The best VM hypervisor

Valuable Features:

Memory overcommittment and deduplication, allowing higher consolidation ratios.

Improvements to My Organization:

With VMware ESXi 5.5 and vCenter, we have a high-performance and stable virtual platform for converting 10 plus physical machines into few virtual machines.

Room for Improvement:

Reduce operation cost on physical machines, increase availability and performance of virtual operation systems.

Use of Solution:

3 years.

Stability Issues:

We have a issue when setup ESXi. There is no response from host machine when connecting VMware ESXi to IBM SAN (v3700), resolved by installing ESXi new patches.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

The only setup cost is VMware license, no extra cost is needed as we have a IT team who familiar with VMware products.

Other Advice:

For small-to-medium business, I would recommend to install ESXi on USB stick or SD card. It provides more flexibility and lower cost to setup the virtual platform.

2 visitors found this review helpful

4 Comments

kapilmalik1983ConsultantTOP REVIEWER

I would always recommend to install all the relevant vmware patches and hardware firmwares before the system goes into production to avoid any instability performance issues.

30 November 14
Russell StoebeConsultantTOP 10

I agree that any server used for ESXI or any other use should be on current firmware and that includes option cards before installing any OS. If you have vCenter you can keep track of the patches available for ESXI servers. Apply then during a scheduled maintenance cycle when you can schedule downtime. I have been supporting server hardware for 20 years and firmware updates should always be checked before use. There also firmware released after that can go on during the scheduled maintenance cycle. That can include storage too, I stabilized a couple arrays with a firmware update,

30 November 14
it_user271749Real User

Well-written account of real world experience with the product.

13 July 15
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

As stated by others always update firmware and patch VMware prior to going in to Production. It will save on issues like you had.

08 July 16