VMware vSphere Review

Leverages the migration with unshared storage. Helps manage main and DR sites simultaneously.

What is most valuable?

VMware is the market leader in virtualization. I like the following vMotion improvements in the current version:

• vMotion across virtual switches: There are no restrictions now to migrate VMs across switches (standard/distributed). It is valuable to me for an upgrade or when moving my datacenter.
  • vMotion across vCenter Servers: This leverages the migration with unshared storage. In simple terms, VM1 is running on a certain host/cluster, which runs on a certain datastore and is managed by vCenter 1. It can be vMotioned to different ESXi hosts, which have different datastores managed by another vCenter server, called vCenter 2.
  • Long Distance vMotion: I can now perform reliable migrations between hosts and sites that are separated by high network round-trip latency times. This is an official definition. For me, it helps me to manage main and DR sites simultaneously and in an effective way.

How has it helped my organization?

• Reduces the data center footprint: Fewer servers and less power consumption
  • Reduces the overall footprint of your entire data center

What needs improvement?

They still have restrictions on fault tolerance features and managing snapshots.

I've been using VMware products since 2009 and this version for more than six months.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

I am satisfied with the technical support. Some support cases needed to be escalated, but overall it is good.

I used different solutions from different vendors. VMware products are the most stable/scalable products on the market. VMware can integrate easily with other vendors.

The setup was easy. Some basics should be taken into consideration first.

Just focus on the features you need. Sometimes we misunderstand feature and pricing equations.

I tested it myself in my lab. Also, I visited some companies which work with this product to see it in action.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has lots of features. Just be aware of all of them and you will get the most out of it.