VxRail Review

Provides centralized management that is easy to manage and easy to update, and the support is excellent

What is our primary use case?

I use VxRail with VMware VCF. The requirement is to have a private cloud to provide services for users.

How has it helped my organization?

VxRail has improved the way we function because everything is centralized. There is no need to be going to many different places. it's all in one pane of glass, making it easier to manage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are ease of management and ease of applying updates. It provides centralized management.

What needs improvement?

In the version that I was working with, the integrations are in need of improvement.

The technical support is in slight need of improvement.

I have been using VxRail for several years, and am just starting a brand new project with it. This will be a fresh deployment.

VxRail is pretty robust and steady.

VxRail is very easy to scale. It is simple to add nodes, scale-out, or scale-up. We have more than 2,000 users. There are many different people in people in many different departments, going from regular day to day administration, helpdesk, cybersecurity operations, forensics, virtualization administrators, VDI administrators, and so forth.

I have been in contact with technical support and they are excellent. I would rate them a nine out of ten on support because there is always room for improvement, but they do a good job.

Sometimes, when passing on tickets to other techs because people leave on vacation or for other reasons, they don't follow up quickly enough in my opinion. I have found that sometimes, I've had tickets open and two days later, I don't hear anything and it's because the person was out and nobody else took over the ticket. Other than that, they are on point.

In my previous organization, we were using a regular blade chassis. We were not using HCI solutions. Rather, it was just the normal virtualization environment deployment using fabric switches. We were also using Dell servers, only it was M540s and 840s on a Dell M1000M chassis.

It was different, and HCI is something that I like.

The initial setup is pretty easy and straightforward.

At about $200,000, this solution is a little bit pricey but it is more economical than others such as Nutanix or Cisco Hyperflex. Dell is more economical.

What other advice do I have?

In my previous deployment, there were a couple of things that I identified as needing improvement. I believe they were addressed on the new version of their software because, in the previous deployment, I wasn't using the latest version. Apparently, VMware came out with VCF 4.1, and Dell came out with a newer iteration. At this point, I'm hoping that the stuff is fixed. Once I start working with the newest version, I'll see what new features I would like to see in the next one.

My advice for anybody looking into implementing VxRail is to read the documentation and do the virtual labs that they have. Repeat them over and over before deploy it on the actual system that they are going to deploy to avoid having to take everything down and redo it.

More VxRail reviews from users
...who compared it with Nutanix Acropolis AOS
Learn what your peers think about VxRail. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.