WatchGuard Application Control Review

Feature rich, easy to manage, and the category blocking is helpful

What is our primary use case?

We were primarily using WatchGuard to control applications that were trying to access offsite network locations.

I am no longer using this solution because it was in my previous job.

What is most valuable?

This is a feature-rich product.

The most valuable feature is the category control.

This is an easy product to manage.

What needs improvement?

There should be more reports available on different subjects. There is a set of predefined Dimension reports but there needs to be more available on aspects like security and Wi-Fi.

I have been working with WatchGuard for more than eight years.

It is a stable solution.

We only had a single site, albeit a large one. Scalability was not something that I had to test beyond the one location, but it was good for our environment.

I was in contact with the WatchGuard technical support three or four times. I was satisfied with them and their responses. We had a WatchGuard Gold Support package.

I have also used Sophos Application Control and from my experience, WatchGuard is the better solution. With Sophos, it is not as easy to block categories, and creating firewall rules is much more difficult.

The initial setup was generally straightforward. We had a little bit of difficulty with our second installation, which was virtualized. It took us two or three days to move from our on-premises deployment to the cloud. It was easy because we already had all of our rules in place. This included testing and not just the implementation.

When we first implemented WatchGuard, we had the help of a solution provider.

What other advice do I have?

For what we needed, WatchGuard was fine and generally covered our needs. It is easy to maintain and it is a product that I recommend. That said, there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, Untangle, Carbon Black and others in Application Control. Updated: June 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.