WatchGuard AuthPoint Review

Prioritises security to give a very dependable, stable and scalable solution

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for multi-factor authentication in-house. We also expect our suppliers to implement the solution because we're dealing with sensitive data, personal data, and need to use two-factor authentication. So it can be integrated with remote support. We use well-prepared templates to integrate the AWS, Office 365, and so it's very, very easy to implement for our needs. I'm the General Manager of our company and we partner with WatchGuard.

What is most valuable?

Push authentication is very, very compatible and a valuable feature. You only need a smart phone, Android, or iOS and then it can be implemented as an app on the phone, rather than with a hardware token. There's no need to wear a hardware token so you're always secure. Your smart phone is by your side and so is your token. If it were a hardware token you would have a big problem.

What needs improvement?

Documentation on cloud could be improved. For example, they could introduce video tutorials for implementation.

In the next release, they could perhaps enhance the locking as an additional feature. For now, it's limited to 90 days. Maybe it should be enhanced to be GDPR-compliant.

I've been using the solution for about two years.

It's a very stable solution because it's on-premise. You have the RADIUS server that's easy for Windows implementation. You can also integrate Active Directory You must look for your stability concerning RADIUS on premise and also on Active Directory. The cloud is also very stable.

The solution is very scalable, it can be scaled to over 100 users. You can start with five user licenses and can expand as necessary. For now, we have 15 users in the company. We also integrate our suppliers and get them to use the two-factor authentication for additional security. We also expect them to be GDPR compliant.

We've used technical support very rarely - reaction time is somewhere between two to four hours by email. You need a good reseller or system integrator because WatchGuard support is in English. We are in Germany so it's a bit of a disadvantage for native German speakers. But in the IT field it's normal to have to speak English.

Initial setup is quite straightforward. The customer just needs to instal the gateway software on premise. It's a RADIUS emulation. Deployment takes about half an hour. The time it takes depends on the number of users that you want to implement. Every user needs a token and implementation is on the smart phone so it can take more time, but for one end user deployment takes half an hour.

What other advice do I have?

Test the solution before you buy. There is a 30-day free trial period with full functionality, and it's easy to test. It's very, very important to use a multifactor authentication, and AuthPoint offers two-factor authentication with the various options.

I would rate the product an eight out of 10.