WatchGuard Firebox Review

You can control how you want things to go in and out of it

What is our primary use case?

I use it as my firewall.

We are using it to filter our email.

How has it helped my organization?

It roadblocks most everything, as far as viruses and stuff like that, from getting into my network and does a good job of that.

If there is any conflict, the reporting feature will kick out all types of information, which is great.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is if I need to control spam. I can control everything with it, anything coming in or out of my network. The controllability is phenomenal.

You can control how you want things to go in and out of it. So, it is great for that.

What needs improvement?

The software in it could be a bit more friendly for an amateur user. I look at it and don't understand what half the stuff is. Looking at the interface, it is all mumbo-jumbo to me. It's not a simple interface. You have to be an IT guy to understand it. It is not for your average person to use, then walk away from it. It is much more entailed. It could be a bit more user-friendly, but my IT guy knows what he's doing with it. I just let him do most everything.

They need to make it so you have a step-by-step guide which goes through and sets it all up for you. However, they don't have that. You have to know what you're doing with it.

I have been using the M200 for a year.

It seems to be stable.

There are always updates for it. So, they are always improving it. We are always putting updates into it all the time. They do a good job of trying to keep up on everything.

I just have a consultant who comes in every so often to do deployment and maintenance.

I haven't seen any restrictions as far as the scalability is concerned, so it seems to be just fine.

All of our users are just office workers.

Our IT guy talks highly of the technical support, saying that they are pretty knowledgeable. He never complains about them.

I've had WatchGuard ever since I put my network together. All I've used is WatchGuard.

They were discontinuing support for the last one that I had. Therefore, I had to upgrade to the M200.

The initial setup is complicated. Unless you know what you're doing with it, you can make mistakes, which are really difficult to recoup from. You have to know what you are doing with it. Otherwise, you'll screw it all up.

It only took our IT guy probably an hour to set it all up, but he knows what he's doing with it. He works with them everyday.

I just used an integrator for the deployment, who was good. I have worked with him for years.

There is an additional cost for support on top of licensing. When I bought my new unit, I received additional time added to my support.

I just went by what my IT guy recommended, so I didn't really evaluate any others because he's very knowledgeable on all of these type of things. I just went off of his recommendation.

What other advice do I have?

The functionality of the unit is great. However, you have to be pretty knowledgeable on how to work with its interface.

I don't any plans to increase usage. The product is always on and always being used.