WatchGuard XTM [EOL] Review

The multi-WAN feature allows us to configure multiple external interfaces but the initial setup always is complex.

What is most valuable?

• Traffic management
  • QoS
  • Many others

How has it helped my organization?

The multi-WAN feature allows us to configure multiple external interfaces. You have several options to control which interface an outgoing packet uses, and one option is 'Round-Robin.' When you configure multi-WAN with the 'Round-Robin' method, the XTM device looks at its internal route table to check for specific static or dynamic routing information for each connection.

The route table includes both routes, and you need to configure them on the device. If no specified route is found, the XTM device distributes the traffic load among its external interfaces. The XTM device uses the average of sent (TX) and received (RX) traffic to balance the traffic load across all external interfaces you specify in your round-robin configuration.

I've used it for two years.

No issues, it's very friendly.

Our appliance has a firewall throughput of 2.5Gb/s but if we need more, we have to move to other models until we get to 3.5Gb/s.

It depends on the partner.

Tech support is sometimes a little bit slow.

We had Cisco Pix and when we wanted to move to something similar to WatchGuard, we had to invest more than $10,000.

Initial setup always is complex because we don't know so much about the equipment. The key is to have a plan, objectives, and define our goals.

Our annual return is 11.7%.

• Fortinet
  • Cisco

525, 11.7.5
More WatchGuard XTM [EOL] reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, Fortinet, Netgate and others in Firewalls. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.
2 Comments

author avatarHamza_Farhan (A10 Networks)

WAN LB / Fail-over featurewith Dell SonicWall UTM is easy to configure. The only challenge is to find out some external resources to probe to help detecting when there is no internet over specific WAN link even when the link is UP ( physical layer is Ok ). Most of the time, customers probe google DNS or their ISP`s DNS server.

author avatarit_user230721 (User)
User

This is no special SonicWall feature. Practically every multiwan solution including WatchGuard uses this approach.