WatchGuard XTM [EOL] Review

The security feature has reduced my overall labor on maintaining the network but I’m not in favor of having to setup security proxy settings.

What is most valuable?

The VPN to link my system to my clients, the gateway security features as my first defense layer to my client’s networks, and the firewall/NAT policy. I also love the alias feature as it allows me to configure items by common names instead of IP address.

How has it helped my organization?

The security feature has reduced my overall labor on maintaining the network. Most of the malware threats are blocked by the XTM device leaving only the benign adware to watch out for.

What needs improvement?

I’m not in favor having to setup security proxy settings instead of just turning them on like you do with the SonicWALL enhanced OS.

I have been using XTM device for about two and a half years. I have deployed about 10 XTM SMB devices. All with great success.

No issues with stability! When I thought I had an issue, tech support said the issue was with another device connected to it, and they were correct.

I have not been in the position to scale up for my customers.

Excellent, although I have very little involvement with technical support, but when I did use technical support, the solution was fast and easy. I love the fact I can set a temporary read only password for WatchGuard tech support to connect to the XTM device and troubleshoot. These feature free my time up from going back and further over the phone for troubleshooting like other products.

I have used SonicWALL since 1999. I switched when SonicWALL was sold to Dell and their technical support was hard to work with.

Deployment is easy! Just log in to the web interface and run the wizard. Once the basic setting are done, connect to the XTM device using WatchGuard management suites to finish the setup. The management software allows one to configure the features in an off-line mode and then upload them to the XTM device for implementation.

I’m a certified XTM 11.7 and 11.9 tech, therefore, I deploy the XTM device in-house and I also subcontract remote installation for another SMB company. The local admin run the wizard for me while we are the phone together. Afterwards, I finish the deployment from my local WatchGuard Management software.

As a small SMB, there is little profit in the sales and renewals for the XTM device. Most of my ROI is in the features of the device; security features, policy rules, reporting, and live connection monitoring.

Investment is the XTM device ($395+), security subscription ($170+), and the initial setup (one to two hours depending on the features needed for the customers). After that, there is very little admin time involved in maintaining the XTM device.

I was looking for another solution to replace my SonicWALL when WatchGuard offered me a free instructor led certification course.

What other advice do I have?

Become certified or hire a certified firm or person, do not try to configure the advanced feature without the training. This is not your SMB office store product.

More WatchGuard XTM [EOL] reviews from users