WatchGuard XTM Review

Valuable Features

• Firewall
  • Policies

Improvements to My Organization

This product has helped in securing my SQL database and web applications from DDoS attacks and SQL injections. Also, I managed to create an IPSEC VPN between this device and a Fortinet device which is great as it helps me to do backup between my datacenters remotely without physically going down to them. It has also improved my network speed and also helped me to set specific policies for specific applications which I couldn't do with other products.

Room for Improvement

The web interface is easy to use but it looks complicated and could be simplified. Also it's lacking a feature to key in description for host IP addresses, and I think we need that to identify certain IP addresses.

Use of Solution

I've used it for one year.

I was new to a new interface it took me a while to learn it.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

6/10.

8/10.

Previously, I was using Fortinet, and I switched as it had low security for web applications.

It was complex because my network has many subnets, so creating policies for each one was a challenge.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with a mixed team consisting of the vendor and in-house staff. I would rate the vendor 6/10.

ROI

This product is something essential for the whole infrastructure of the company so I guess the ROI is 100%

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

15,000SGD

Other Solutions Considered

We also looked at a Fortinet 100D.

Other Advice

My advice would be to go ahead with it as its robust and easy to use with other products in the network.

3 Comments

Christian CampodonicoReal UserTOP 20

You should install DIMENSION and Active Directory integration to identify IP

08 May 15
it_user230592Real User

If you use a allowed list of ip address for certain services like FTP you don't have an option to label these ips, for example lets say you want to give access to my organisation ip in your policy when you add my ip to the allowed list you cannot put a label for ip to identify whether it belongs to who i find it as a drawback.

10 June 15
it_user316026User

Hello Ajay,

If I have understood you right, then you want to have a name for teh list of IP addresses in the from or to field of the policy. If I am right you can do that by creating an Aliases for those IPs and add that aliase while creating the policy. For example, if you have 5 ip addresses from site A which you want to add to a policy then jut create a pre-define aliase name "Site-A" and make those IPs member of that aliase. Then simply add that aliase in the policy. If you need details, how to create aliases then please let me know.

If you are using WebUI then my suggestion would me download the Watchguard system manager on your management computer and use that for managing the WG devices. It may take some time to get use to it but it will make your life easier in long run.

21 September 15