Watchguard logo

WatchGuard XTM Review
Helps me create firewall policies for networks and services.

Valuable Features:

The proxy based policy in Policy Manager is the best feature. It helps me:

• Create many different firewall policies for different networks and services
  • In tracking problems in the policy rule in the traffic monitor of Firebox System Manager

Improvements to My Organization:

With this product, I can easily block group websites with its WebBlocker based on predefined categories such as: Social Network, Sex Material, and Video Streaming

We can also use Application Control to block some applications based on pre-defined categories such as: P2P, Social Network, Streaming Media, and Games.

Room for Improvement:

• It is difficult to configure WatchGuard with your internet settings.
  • I would like to see more granularity on each IP bandwidth that is used
  • It cannot block Internet Download Manager nor the Torrent application “BitComet”

Use of Solution:

I have been using it for eleven months.

Deployment Issues:

There were no big issues with deployment except the problem of multiple WANs and multiple subnets from the LAN.

Stability Issues:

No stability issues were encountered. The device is working smoothly for me.

The customer service from my vendor was very good. I would give them a rating of 9/10.

I would give technical support a rating of 7.5/10 for two reasons:

• The vendor technician, on the first occasion, checked the device remotely and configured something, but saved the running configuration without backing up the previous configuration first.
  • Singapore technical support tried to remotely fix the problem where the application control could not block the Torrent application “BitComet”. After one hour of testing was complete, he later sent an email to my vendor to alert them that the current WatchGuard cannot block “BitComet” and that we are waiting for a new version. At that time, he should have tested it at his office first before he asked to check my device remotely.

Previous Solutions:

The company has just opened and WatchGuard was the first solution.

Initial Setup:

It’s not complex. The configuration is UI based. For experienced network administrators who understand network and firewall concepts, it is easy.

Implementation Team:

The device is implemented through a vendor team.  I would give them a rating 7/10 because they did not check and verify the configuration clearly before they left our office. I later found that their configuration was not yet working well and they had to return to configure it again.

ROI:

For the current network demand, I think the product is worth buying. It is not too expensive and it has almost all the features that I need.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

I think it is best to consult with the vendor for pricing and licensing.

Other Solutions Considered:

Previously, I wanted to use Juniper as my firewall. However, after consulting with the vendor and reviewing the product ranking and features, we finally chose WatchGuard for our solution.

We chose it based on “medium price with high quality and security that its features can use.” So we chose it for the frontend firewall and we have another for the backend firewall.

Other Advice:

If your company needs a medium priced firewall appliance with WebBlocker, Application Control, VPN, and SpamBlocker, then you should try WatchGuard.

However, it is not recommended to use an e-banking server or another import server for the DMZ zone on WatchGuard.

You have a firewall, but you need a very good IPS appliance in addition to these servers. WatchGuard has IPS, but it is not very good yet.

1 visitor found this review helpful
Anonymous avatar x30

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About WatchGuard XTM?

Our experts can help. 213,954 professionals have used our research on 5,586 solutions.