Wavefront by VMware Review

Centralized management for multiple environments from a single pane of glass

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for monitoring and customer demos. We have a hybrid cloud deployment with Amazon.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows me to have true visibility for any metrics when it comes to my cloud, and private. It allows me to move workloads between the two of them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the way you can monitor multiple environments including cloud, hybrid cloud, and private cloud. We also like the way you can do the right sizing.

The monitoring and visibility into public cloud platforms are actually very good. You don't have to manage any infrastructure for the monitoring, as everything is provided for you. On AWS you can monitor everything from S3 to EC2 instances.

The pre-built dashboards are great for incident resolution. They help me to troubleshoot because of the metrics that they provide.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see integration with Kubernetes cluster and APIs so that you can manage the entire stack.

This solution is a software service (SaaS), so we do not have to manage it.

Scalability does not really apply because it is provided as SaaS.

We did use another solution prior to this one, but I realized that I do not want to manage infrastructure anymore. This one is cloud-based and logs the analytics and stuff like that. I can just access them from anywhere.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, based on the instructions.

We implemented this solution in-house.

The fact that you can come to a solution faster because everything is within one dashboard automatically gives you ROI.

If I were to compare the cost of this solution to a traditional one, I think it's a consolidation of price, where everything is in one, versus having separate applications modules for the same thing. It achieves the same outcome, pretty much.

We considered solutions by Cisco in addition to this one. We were already a VMware customer, which is why we chose this product.

What other advice do I have?

Using this solution has helped to reduce our mean time to remediation because it helps to pinpoint where the bottleneck or the root cause of the problem is.

This solution allows us to monitor microservices based on ports and stuff like that. You can see when those ports die and know where the problem is.

We have used the chart and dashboard customization features, and they are pretty easy to use if you know your metrics. The customization makes it easier to visualize what you are already looking for. They help me get to the root cause faster.

In terms of easy, medium, or hard, I would say that the learning curve for this solution is medium.

This solution will give you a single pane of glass for everything, and centralized monitoring. However, it is still not a very mature product. Is has been out for two years and is not fully baked-in.