Wavefront by VMware Review

Provides the relevant metrics that we need to monitor our systems and the environment

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for KPI metrics. We use the aggregation of metrics, and get alerts about the numbers behind the data that we have.

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to have a dashboard of key items for a few departments and teams in our company have improved our organization. The solution provides the relevant metrics that I need to monitor our systems and the environment. The log space and log aggregation KPIs help us to have a better way to see where we're at in terms of threshold monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of the solution are its ease of use and its ease of implementation.

What needs improvement?

Authentication is probably there already, but if it isn't, it should be added. Integration should be in there. They could make it more easy to plug-in data so that a nontechnical person will be able to use it, like accountants or finance people. That way they don't have to ask us.

The solution should integrate AI elements. Instead of opening a file with a template and filling things out, have the AI ask questions, and then let it fill it out.

The stability of the solution is good. I've never heard of anyone saying "It failed." There's no problem. It's there, just like any other cache application. You don't have to maintain it in your data center. I don't even think much about the stability because I know the solution can handle it.

I've never used the solution's technical support.

We previously used Splunk. We did not want to put more load on our existing monitor systems. Also, putting metrics into it was not within the reach of a lot of people. It requires a little bit more experience and knowledge to do it in Splunk. Wavefront is much easier in this regard.

We wanted to bridge the experience gap by seeing the right dashboard. When we were trying to come up with a solution we had a project to have a single pane for monitoring. That was three years ago. Then we implemented Wavefront.

The reason for the implementation came down to cost and usability.

What other advice do I have?

Wavefront gives us the complexity we need, instead of spending time coming up with a nice dashboard from some other means, or just creating and coding our own app.

The solution enables you to run your microservices to optimize the application. The people that are responsible for our microservices appreciate that. When we talk about microservices, just the ability to help in log analysis is a big plus. It's been a while since I saw the company's microservices dashboard, but there are some reports from Wavefront that help in giving them a better view of business processes.

The chart or dashboard creation processes are very easy. It gives us the ability to just plug and place things.

There's a very little learning curve for the solution. It's easy. Any technologist should be able to see how beneficial it is and how manageable and easy it is to use.

For smaller companies, the solution should consider the cost-factor and offer some better deals. For me, as a technologist, I like things when they work. I don't want to be maintaining my own scripts, or my own in-house applications. We don't have time to develop in-house applications nowadays anyway. We're just wasting our time. The traditional model is gone and Wavefront is right there with modern companies in delivering solutions to them. Basically, you have an entire company doing engineering for you. If I were a company or a technologist that has been given a chance to do something like this, I'd go for it. I hope the entry cost gets better for smaller to mid-sized companies such as where I work.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.