WebLogic Suite Review

The most valuable features are that it's easily deployable and easily scalable.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features are that it's easily deployable and easily scalable. It'll shrink and can grow as much as you want. Those are the benefits, but when compared to other products, such open-source Tomcat, we've considered moving from WebLogic to Tomcat because WebLogic is very expensive.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's scalable for the company and easily deployable. The GUI and integration with SSO is more beneficial than other available options.

Room for Improvement:

It's definitely a complex solution. It throws at least a million lines of errors just for one password. You can get a small issue that could potentially generate about a thousand of lines with warnings, and those warnings might mean nothing. It will just pop up warnings, so you'd have alerts for nothing. It's not that easy from the admin perspective if you're not really familiar with what you're getting into. It's not 100% GUI, so that you need to know lots and lots of configuration files.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment. In fact, it deploys very easily.

Stability Issues:

WebLogic is not a light product. Java uses the whole memory of the server so it's a memory hog.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scaling it for our needs.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was easy and pretty straightforward.

Implementation Team:

We did the implementation ourselves with our in-house team.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

It's quite expensive.

Other Solutions Considered:

If it were like Tomcat, configuring .xml files would take care of some things, but there's not a particular main .xml file available with WebLogic. In fact, there are so many important .xml files that are needed for WebLogic.

Other Advice:

It's highly expensive and there are other much, much better products out for the cost of peanuts.

1 Comment
UserUser

I was involved in a project in 2002 - now in maintenance. Weblogic was made more complicated by our design actually. We setup tomcat as the front end web page and web logic as the application server, two tiers, and to develop some of our own technology. I think weblogic is not that complex; it is actually a very good platform to deploy applications on. That is my opinion. It does probably cost a lot, but if you want something that is supported by a company, you have to pay the bucks, otherwise, you can struggle with the open source stuff, which really isn't so bad, but sometimes management and the higher ups preferred the paid for options.

20 September 16