webMethods Integration Server Review
Integration Server and Universal messaging create an efficient development phase, enhance agility

What is most valuable?

The Integration Server

It's obvious that the heart of the product lies here. It's comprised of all aspects of ESB (Enterprise Gateway, Adapter, TN, Java) and BPM (task, rules engine).

Universal Messaging

Universal Messaging is a Message Orientated Middleware product that covers JMS, MQTT, AMQP.

Universal Messaging design supports both broker-based and umTransport communication, and thus comprises client and server components. The server component has specific design features to support each of these classifications of client, as well as Scheduling and Triggers, Plugins, Federation, Clustering, and Low Latency IO.

How has it helped my organization?

Time effective and efficient to development phase, enhance agility and integration between application, platform, etc.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps the Java Service section, which is probably confusing for a new developer. It doesn't represent OOP very well, just a method and proprietary interface called IData. It would be great if we could create a Class, method, instance variable, etc., just like in a real Java app.

Since 2012.

Yes, regarding the Stateful session inbound to ESB (Integration Server). It seems that the Stateful session doesn't break when the transaction is finished, but waits until the timeout expires (although quite often it doesn't even break even after timeout expires, eventually flooding the server).

Yes, you have to buy another license for clustering named Terracotta and it's another proprietary product by SoftwareAG, but in version 8.2 you can use clustering by Coherence library.

Around six to seven on a scale of one to 10.

No, they won the PoC in the beginning.

Quite complex in setting up the BPM environment, the UDDI service (Centrasite), and also the Universal Messaging.

I suppose webMethods aim for large-scale enterprises which is why the price is high, but with high output and better outcomes.

Some of the licensing is "component-ized," which is confusing to new users/customers.

Yes, TIBCO (was good enough IMHO) and Oracle Fusion Middleware (it's quite complicated IMHO).

What other advice do I have?

I have to say that all SoftwareAG products are tightly proprietary, which means you can't just download and install for study purposes or to play around with them. You have to call their partner/product representative just to download the trial, which is quite different from their competitors. That makes the product unfamiliar to mid-low enterprises.

Also, their products are "componentized" in terms of licensing and tightly coupled, which means that some components may be licensed while some are a prerequisite to other components. So it could be that you have to buy two to get one and a half (pretty amazing isn't). But overall it is a great product.

Another thing is that made me bit upset was that the certification/training in South East Asia (which is my region) is not "individual friendly," meaning that if you want to get developer certified, you have to join to one of their partner companies or bulk order.