WebRatio Review

Ability to automatically publish fully fledged web applications is valuable but interfaces are not very well developed

What is most valuable?

Ability to automatically publish (standard Java code) fully fledged web applications, including interfaces (forms, buttons etc). Ability to seamlessly design a data model that can be integrated with existing data models.

How has it helped my organization?

I have accelerated the purchase-to-pay process and eliminated major delays and bottlenecks, increased approval transparency via audit trails, while reducing support personnel.

What needs improvement?

Interfaces are still not very well developed. Scripts on the same web page conflict with each other and this requires careful consideration of the process and application logic, which should not be the case.

More than 1 year.

Not in this case. In the past, I have used Sharepoint, Websphere, Lotus Notes Domino custom processes, Mercury and Bonita.

Very straightforward: it took 6 weeks from zero ideas to process being online, populated with data, integrated with legacy systems and a trained organization to support/exploit it.

Vendor team, very good level of expertise.

Less than 15k EUR. Day-to-day support is on average less than 500 EUR per month.

I did evaluate more expensive commercial solutions (Websphere, Oracle BPM), less expensive commercial solutions (Intalio, Tibco) and opensource solutions (Bonitasoft).

I chose to settle for an academic solution (WebRatio) that meets my licensing requirements at a very low cost while still providing solid local support via partner.

What other advice do I have?

1. Get a strong partner. Don't waste money on licenses, but on services from that partner.
  2. Don't forget about your data. A process model without a data model is useless.
  3. Get a solution that also does execution over web. Nothing else will help you in the future.