WhatsUp Gold Review

Old, clunky, and with unresponsive support, this product touches the basics but not in style

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is just for monitoring the host servers, the virtual machines, the network equipment, and the storage. It covers all the basics.

What is most valuable?

Probably the only sorta valuable part of the product is that it is stable, easy to work with, and covers the basics. But there is a lot more downside to it in my opinion than up.

What needs improvement?

Honestly, I do not particularly like WhatsUp Gold. I think we should get rid of it. It is so old. It has not been upgraded in about six years. The interface looks like something from the nineties.

I am quite used to using the Paessler AG product. That is PRTG (Paessler Router Traffic Grapher) and the two have little in comparison. It could be improved by being more like PRTG.

If WhatsUp were going to work on updating the product, I would like to see some improvements in the interface. The dashboards could be a lot better.

The company that I work for has been using WhatsUp Gold quite a lot more for the past few years but they have had it as a solution for the past 10 years. I have only been in the company for about six or seven months.

One thing good about WhatsUp Gold is that it is fairly stable.

We have got about five or six people working with it right now. Their roles are mostly system administrative staff. It is used daily in our current situation.

When I first started, I did contact the technical support team to see whether I could get the new version of the product, but no one ever even bothered to reply. So obviously the technical support could be also improved.

I have used a few of the different monitoring solutions at different companies. PA Server Monitor was one that I used and that was by Power Admin. I used to work with PRTG (by Paessler AG). It is quite a good product. Spiceworks is another one I used.

If we are talking about a comparison between the ones I have already used and WhatsUp Gold, PRTG is a better product. It is the best one I have used out of all of them. I would be interested in moving to that instead of WhatsUp Gold.

I have got a few virtual machines on it that I use myself. It is not a very complicated product. It is a bit clunky and takes more steps than it should do, but it is not difficult to set up and use.

It takes approximately 10 minutes to set up. It does not require a lot of maintenance. It has been on-premises so it is not exposed to the internet and because of that it is not much of a risk. But maintaining it is just a long way down the priority line at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend WhatsUp Gold to people who were considering it as a solution. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate WhatsUp Gold as a four or five. Really, it is a four-out-of-ten.

More WhatsUp Gold reviews from users