WhatsUp Gold Review

Feature-rich with a good user interface

What is our primary use case?

We use it for network discovery. It is just one of the features it provides, but it's basically the only feature we use.

What is most valuable?

I haven't explored all of the features.

The user interface is good enough.

What needs improvement?

We use it for network discovery but it's not really good enough. We can never achieve or get a good picture of the network topology.

There are inconsistencies in advertisement and how much it can do in network discovery. It doesn't do what it indicates it will do. I would like a deeper description of the solution and how they achieve it.

What is advertisement phrases is not reality and we cannot achieve it.

We need more customization. It's all about customization.

I would like to see more features that clearly describe how they are going to discover a node on the network.

Also, we would like to know the probabilistic information. For example, to know that the methods, in general, allow discovery of up to some percentage of nodes. We used different settings from what they provide, but we were never close to getting a network topology that we expected to get.

It would be nice to have the ability to identify devices with multiple network interfaces.

I have been using WhatsUp Gold for the last year.

We are using version 19.2.0.

It's a stable solution.

We have not explored the scalability as we don't need it.

We have approximately five users.

We don't have plans to increase usage.

We have a paid version of this solution but have never contacted technical support. We haven't needed to.

I was not involved with the initial setup. It was done by my colleague and he never complained that it was difficult.

I don't have information on the pricing. I know that it's a paid version, but I don't have any details.

What other advice do I have?

The decision on whether we will continue to use this solution or not is up to our manager, but in terms of projects, I don't think that we will continue to use this solution. It will be dropped.

I would rate WhatsUp Gold an eight out of ten.

More WhatsUp Gold reviews from users
...who compared it with PRTG Network Monitor
Learn what your peers think about WhatsUp Gold. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.