WhatsUp Gold Review

Great interface but has no end to end monitoring from a user perspective

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for server performance.

What is most valuable?

The interface in the last few years it has been a lot greater, they are much more user-friendly. I like the interface.

What needs improvement?

One of the biggest things that made us start to look at another product is we're not able to have an end to end monitoring from a user perspective throughout the system and back to the user. All the monitoring is from inside out, we need something that also can give us from outside in. WhatsApp is great as long as you use it for Windows servers, but we need to use it for a SQL environment. That's where the lack is. That's the big two points on the board that made us look for an alternative. But, we haven't found an alternative, so we're still using it.  That's a part of the service that can be improved.

The one that I have submitted that really bugs me the most is when you make templates for servers and you use equivocal monitors you can't preset the order of the equivocal monitors. So, it will set it alphabetically. That is where I have the greatest trouble with it, is I want the ping to be the first equivocal monitor because if the server doesn't answer to the ping I don't care about anything else. And on the Citrix servers, the second thing I want is to always have the SMNP service running, because we check most of our this by SNMP. On the Citrix server, we have the SQL email service that controls the logins, so if that service is down no user can log onto the server. That last one, how I have named this, that one starts with C for Citrix. All my Citrix monitors start with Citrix in the name to inform me what system they are for. That one comes to the top of the list so when a Citrix server does not respond to ping, unless WhatsApp states that, the login server sets off a ping, which is true, but that's not the reason.

I want a solution for how we can change the order on 600 Citrix servers. But it seems I have to do that manually. I'm not sure we if have a big enough part of servers to be a client of WhatsApp or not. But I can't manually sit and update the servers.

I have been using this solution for about 5 or 6 years.

We have experienced it to be rather good on stability. We had some stability issues but they kind of disappeared with the old server so we never claimed those to be instabilities from a WhatsApp standpoint, it was server issues.

On the scalability of the solution, I'm not sure what the average user of WhatsApp Gold, what size of network they're using it with. We were doing about 1000 to 1500 addresses. I feel that when you go about 1200 devices I start to feel that things go slower. I think that that's a step in scalability there. That's where it starts to have a few more issues. There's not been a problem so I have not researched if I need to put more CPUs and more RAM into it.

In terms of customer support, I've only used the service online and I've never had any phone support. I think I only had three or four service tickets with WhatsApp. On one I was told that it was a feature that I was missing after an upgrade. I think that was when I went from 2016 to 2017 when they changed it to be a more web interface. It's a feature I was asking for where I could find and they say that the feature was no longer available in the newer version and just about the same tie the man arrived I found where I could do the changes I wanted. And after all that, they said the feature is no longer available and I had already found it. After that, most of my support request has ended up being changing from an internet to a bug fix issue thing.

WhatsUp was my first entry to the world of monitoring, when I was questioned to do change task at work and take over the monitoring, we were already running WhatsApp. So WhatsApp was the product of choice by them and has been ever since.

The initial setup was pretty easy. I do not know if we're talking about our initial installation of WhatsApp but a couple of years ago we installed everything on new hardware, so I got a fresh start, a new database, a new everything. And based on that one I'd say the first initial installation took quite some time. It's basically the one you just start and you do something else and you look at it from time to time, so I think I spent about half a workday on it. But it probably didn't use that much time but it takes more time when you're not sitting at the monitor and waiting for the next window to pop up to click next.

I've done the implementation by myself but I did get a certification on the 16 version, so I am certified.

In terms of pricing, I'd say that the pricing is nice and the product is good. If your needs are within what the product delivers I'd say go for it.

What other advice do I have?

I would give the solution a seven out of 10. It does what it's supposed to do so if the product fulfills your needs I have no problem recommending the product.

I'm currently looking at changing it to another solution because it's not giving us what we want it to give us, though I've not been disappointed with it. We probably haven't made an optimum installation, which probably added to giving us not the full experience. We're not using it for the networking performance, we're not using the flow monitor. We are running the next biggest one so we have all the plugins. The only thing we do not have is the ability to run a redundant WhatsUp Server. It's just now we see the needs are, for me, more than they can give. We're not sure if we'll find something that fulfills what we now need. We might keep WhatsApp in addition to that; we're not sure about that.