WhatsUp Gold Review

An easy initial setup with good documentation and a good interface on the older model

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to check the state of the network. We have thousands of devices to manage and control. We monitor all of the internal network with the solution. It is the first tool we use to see the state of the network for real-time monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The topology of the solution is the most valuable feature. We can not only have a list of the devices, but we can also build the topology of some nodes. It's an action that is very easy to perform.

The documentation is very good.

The interface of the solution is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model could be improved. Right now, the levels are too far apart. This causes the solution to be more expensive than it needs to be.

For us, the change of interface in the newer versions was too much and a lot of our users didn't like it. It was a deciding factor for us in not upgrading.

We've been using the solution for 20 years.

The stability of the solution is good. If you respect the hardware requirements, it runs pretty well.

The scalability of the solution is good. On our network team, we have about eight people using the solution. We use it quite extensively every day.

We don't use technical support very often, but when we have, we've had good experiences.

We previously used HP OpenView and also work with CiscoWorks. We switched from HP because OpenView was too hard to manage and use.

We have a lot of monitoring experience with other tools (PRTG, Solarwinds, Cisco). It means that we don't perform low level or low-cost monitoring with WUG, but it's a part of a large vision and activity for the network monitoring of state public services (health and care, education, administration, police).

The initial setup is simple. It's very easy to install. Deployment took a few hours. It takes two people to install the solution.

We handled the implementation with the help of a database manager. We needed help with the SQL server, but that's it.

For us, the tool is free to use as it is at the end of life and we don't pay for technical support.

We did look at other HP options. We liked the ease of use and the interface as well as the price of WhatsUp, however.

What other advice do I have?

We use an older version of WhatsUp Gold. The change of the interface of the tool was too hard for some people of our team and they didn't want the new interface.

We have all of the infrastructure on our data centers.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.