WhereScape RED Review

Automation tool - spend less time writing code

How has it helped my organization?

WhereScape Red helps to speed things up. It has many useful features and version 8 is  reliable. When I first started using it after having worked with Cognos Data Manager, I didn't really find it to be an enterprise-level tool because it was still very flaky. In fact, it had quite a number of bugs. It would fail on every second thing. If you are using it for some basic tasks, it will work fine, but as soon as you try some of the more complex features it would fail. I've seen a lot of improvement in the new versions.

What is most valuable?

Among the features I found most valuable is its support for Kimball Methodology and data warehousing best practices.

What needs improvement?

The schedular needs improvement

I've been using this solution for three years now.

I don't think the solution is very stable. I find that once you use this tool, you would like to have it in your tool kit. Even though I like this tool numerous bugs made it difficult and unreliable . Several of them have been fixed in the new releases. At an enterprise-level, you need a lot more.

The scalability seems okay. It handles most of the data for our 30 sources. We are giving each source an independent repository and a separate EDW repo that uses synonyms for the target objects in the source repos.

We currently have six developers or data engineers using WhereScape, but we don't plan to increase the number, because training is not very cheap.

We have the advantage of having very close access to WhereScape's technical support. It was easy to get them to come on-site and answer many of the issues that we've had. That was quite a significant advantage.

I found the initial setup very easy. In fact, after one month of using it, I was able to have an independent setup on my own workstation. that shows how easy it is to set it up.

I started using this solution with MPI (Ministry for Primary Industries) .They have been a long-term customer of WhereScape Red. When I joined them, they had about 5 WhereScape Red users.

What other advice do I have?

I would not hesitate to say that if someone has really limited time for a project it can make a difference and you can have the data ready for use in a very short period of time. This can be a lifesaver. I will rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More WhereScape RED reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about WhereScape, Microsoft, Informatica and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarPamela Sprague

It would be helpful if you described what you are using RED for - do you create multidimensional structures such as cubes or star and snowflake schemas? How flexible is RED for maturing older, under-developed warehouses? Why spend the extra funds for other database/data warehouse tools if you've already invested in Microsoft, Oracle, PostGre or other SQL based tools?