WhiteSource Review

Unstable, caused build failures, and doubled or tripled the build time

What is most valuable?

The license management of WhiteSource was at a good level. As compared to other tools that I have used, its functionality for the licenses for the code libraries was quite good. Its UI was also fine.

What needs improvement?

We have ended our relationship with WhiteSource. We were using an agent that we built in the pipeline so that you can scan the projects during build time. But unfortunately, that agent didn't work at all. We have more than 500 projects, and it doubled or tripled the build time. For other projects, we had the failure of the builds without any known reason. It was not usable at all. We spent maybe one year working on the issues to try to make it work, but it didn't in the end.

We should be able to integrate it with ID and Shift Left so that the developers are able to see the scan results without waiting for the build to fail.

I have used this solution for one year.

I wouldn't call it stable because we could not build it into the pipeline, and it caused failures.

They were quite responsive, but in the end, they couldn't help with anything to make it work. For any feature requests that we had on our side, they always claimed that they were part of the roadmap, but after that, nothing happened.

It was quite straightforward. It was intended to be done on the DevOps side. It was nothing special. It didn't work after the setup. It caused build failures.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate WhiteSource a three out of ten considering the fact that we couldn't use it while we were paying for it. It had good features, but we couldn't use it.

More WhiteSource reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Black Duck
Learn what your peers think about WhiteSource. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,975 professionals have used our research since 2012.