Windows 10 Review

Users can use Miracast to the Surface Hub for meetings and client walkthroughs

What is most valuable?

Most of the best Windows 10 features are centered around getting you where you want to go faster. The new right-click menu is fantastic from an IT perspective. It gives access to many commonly used tools, like Device Manager, Computer Management, PowerShell, Task Manager and Programs and Features, right from the desktop. The new Task Manager is also much more fully featured and informative.

The overall speed of Windows 10 is fantastic as well. It boots quickly, shuts down quickly, and the overall use is snappy and responsive.

Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise come with fully featured Hyper-V. Desktop admins can create VMs for testing purposes without the need for extra machines.

How has it helped my organization?

Users can use Miracast to the Surface Hub, which is great for meetings and client walkthroughs.

What needs improvement?

The settings and control panel are oddly disjointed. Things that show up in the Control Panel do not always show up in Settings and vice-versa. It is a pain to remember what is where.

We have used this nine months in production.

There is also a tremendous amount of bloatware on Windows 10. Without performing offline maintenance on the image, you have to clean up quite a bit of stray apps and consumer level services to get it to be usable in a corporate environment.

Our version of Trend caused Windows 10 to freeze unexpectedly at random times. Only after Trend released a compatible version did the issues subside and the OS become stable.

We use SCCM, so scalability is no issue, once the imaging process was ironed out.

We primarily use online forums and communities unless you want to pay Microsoft to open a support case. It does benefit from being the most popular OS on the planet, as there is amble advice out there from third parties.

We used Windows 7 and are migrating to be ahead of the support EOL.

It takes a few iterations of installing Windows 10 to get everything tweaked to a place of having a smooth imaging and configuration process. Little things like registry tweaks, GPO tweaks, take time to iron out. Having an imaging solution is a must to scale in any way.

We implemented it in-house. I did the implementation.

Get a KMS server and a volume license if you are a medium sized business. Being able to wipe and re-image is crucial for long term stability of your fleet. Having a Multiple Activation Key (MAK) makes it so every new activation counts against your total.

Work with a reseller like CDW to get licensing costs that fit your needs, as Microsoft's model is confusing.

We did not evaluate other options. We need to use Windows to support our finance applications.

What other advice do I have?

Windows 10 is the best parts of Windows 8 and Windows 7 rolled into one. Windows 8 started a lot of features and functions that shine here in Windows 10, while the criticism has allowed Microsoft to work at user experience more for this iteration. There is a bit too much bloatware by default, and some strange decisions about settings aside, it is a great OS that should only get better with time.

10.0.10586
More Windows 10 reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with Ubuntu Linux
Learn what your peers think about Windows 10. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.