Wireshark Review

Drill-down for packet analysis is great, gives insight into what is going on at packet level

How has it helped my organization?

The people to whom I have introduced this product have found it a great tool to analyze packets. Instead of troubleshooting by trial and error, they have a way to investigate, verify, and then apply a solution. Of course, to derive value from the product, you must know its features.

What is most valuable?

The drill-down available for packet analysis is great. It gives a network security engineer insight into what is going on at the packet level and enables better troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

The Wireshark search function shows green for a correct search and red for an incorrect search. If there were a way to provide a description about what a search - and the similar ones which are available - can do, while a person is typing it, it would make the product easier to use and simultaneously decrease the learning curve.

Three to five years.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

I have not used technical support.

I used Microsoft's Network Monitor, but with due respect to Microsoft, I prefer Wireshark.

Straightforward.