Wordpress.com VIP Review

I wish Wordpress had come out a long time ago

Valuable Features:

Wordpress is an excellent multi-purpose platform with a wide variety of uses and features, including:- An incredibly large theme base. - An incredibly large plug-in base. - It's written in PHP and HTML5, which is an incredibly extensible language. - It's easily transitionable from server to server. - It works very well as a CMS (content management system), which is kind of funny because it wasn't designed to be one. - It's scalable and customizable.

Room for Improvement:

The only major con I can think of is that, because it's written in PHP, if you make a manual edit to one of the theme configuration files (which you probably will end up doing during customization), and have even one minor typo, it will pretty much break the whole site.So, my recommendation is to BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE YOU EDIT SOMETHING and make sure you have access, whether it be physical, FTP or cPanel, to your host server.

Other Advice:

I use Wordpress almost exclusively as a CMS nowadays. It lets me set up web sites quickly and efficiently, and is really easy to use and administer. Each and every time I use it, I find myself learning something new and surprising myself with the extensibility of the platform.
1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
Senior Manager of Engineering with 1,001-5,000 employeesVendor

Nice review.

Sorry Ron - have to disagree with you on the "Cons"... :(

Its because its written in "php" that makes it great. To modify php its absolutely fine - like you said make sure you back everything up. Any developer who has php experience knows how to and what to edit , whether its editing classes, creating new functions etc.

In this case I wouldn't class it as a "Con" I would suggest that standard users shouldn't mess around with the coding..

One "con" that I'd like to mention is the internet facing wp-admin url. I know it can be changed but I think this should be an option in wordpress. I don't think companies would like the fact that they are exposing their administrative login for hackers to attack.

Wissam

30 May 13
Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employeesConsultant

Good Review by Ron. Agree with him on various pros, and also like to add few more:
1) Small learning curve
2) Even novice can administer or create the wesite with little help.
3) Good Community support.

01 June 13