Wordpress is an excellent multi-purpose platform with a wide variety of uses and features, including:- An incredibly large theme base.
- An incredibly large plug-in base.
- It's written in PHP and HTML5, which is an incredibly extensible language.
- It's easily transitionable from server to server.
- It works very well as a CMS (content management system), which is kind of funny because it wasn't designed to be one.
- It's scalable and customizable.
Room for Improvement:
The only major con I can think of is that, because it's written in PHP, if you make a manual edit to one of the theme configuration files (which you probably will end up doing during customization), and have even one minor typo, it will pretty much break the whole site.So, my recommendation is to BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE YOU EDIT SOMETHING and make sure you have access, whether it be physical, FTP or cPanel, to your host server.
I use Wordpress almost exclusively as a CMS nowadays. It lets me set up web sites quickly and efficiently, and is really easy to use and administer. Each and every time I use it, I find myself learning something new and surprising myself with the extensibility of the platform.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Jul 11 2012