Wordpress.com VIP Review

It helps us quickly install blogs, publish articles, and optimize SEO, but scaling it requires experienced engineers.

What is most valuable?

The features which are most valuable are:

1. Easy installation

2. Plugins community

3. Third party integration

4. Ability to extend

5. Affordable for beginners

6. Easy development platform (PHP, MySQL, JavaScript)

7. Multi language support

8. Backup support and availability out of the box

How has it helped my organization?

Improvements to our organization include quick blog installation, article publishing and SEO optimization for search engines.

What needs improvement?

There are several areas for improvement: You can extend the core, you have to comply with GNU GPLv2 license, you can build your own front end theme, you can use a theme out thousands free and commercial themes, you can build any plugin to do your desired functionality, thousands of plugins available to supplement extra functionality, freelance developers are available easy with reasonable pricing to develop your desired functionality.

I have been using WordPress for 5 years.

No issues in deployment.

We are facing issues with outdated plugins and shared hosting security issues, only if WordPress is implemented in dedicated environment it is highly secure.

WordPress is scalable, with reasonable efforts and time, but you need experienced engineers to do it.

WordPress has very good customer support.

WordPress provides very good technical support.

We used to use PHPNuke and Xoops, but switched from both because WordPress is a more mature product.

Setup is straightforward.

We implemented in-house.

This product has excellent value, and good reward for the purpose.

Initial cost of setup is my time and say to day cost, is via vendor newsletters to implement patches.

We evaluated PHPNuke, Xoops and Drupal.

What other advice do I have?

To use any product, write down your desired goals and usage scenarios, implement the core product. Spend enough time using the product and testing its functionality. Start by searching readymade plugins to supplement your functionality. Do not rush to write your own code until you did enough search on readymade plugins. If any functionality is available through third party plugin with fees, do not write it if you can afford paying the price and asking for third party developer support and development. Act as the end user, do not deal with the product as a developer. Measure your results with users satisfaction and goals achievement, do not measure results with your own developer mindset. Work with users from day one, do not build and build for long time before you get users feedback. Implement the product, and monitor how your users are using it.