Workfront Review
Can Workfront really be worth the time and money it requires? Short answer. Yes.

Valuable Features

The workflow management option has been the most valuable up front. It was part of the strategy to get the tool in the door and proof of concept it. By using this Land and Expand model, it has increased overall user adoption by using the same principles sales use by making some invite only. Once users got into the system, this increased their willingness to learn and improve what was already being done.

Improvements to My Organization

Currently we are using AtTask within the Corporate office as a Land and Expand model. AtTask is currently being used as a workflow management solution for a majority of users and as a project management tool for a few other departments. The tool solves the problem of transparency as well as overall communication between team members and projects. It keeps everyone on the same page of what is going on and when it's being done. Where a lot of companies have their silos, this breaks into those silos and begins to create a more collaborative effort to solve issues.

Room for Improvement

The biggest room for improvement comes from faster iteration times. Currently the larger releases are coming quarterly, but this also means that if they aren't already working on a section of the tool, your enhancement request may be a long way in the distance. They do have quite a few Product Managers within the company that are assigned to different parts of the tool, but with quarterly release schedules it can seem like requests fall into a black hole.

Use of Solution

8 Months

The biggest issue with deployment wasn't really an issue per se, but merely configuring the system. The system can do so much that it can be difficult to narrow that focus to where your needs are and where your wants begin. We had a great on-site consultant that walked us through most of the process and a few times where we needed to reach out to gain different perspectives of what we wanted.

The system has only been down twice since we came on board and neither was a long amount of time. The longest it was offline for was 20 minutes (the other time was down less than 5) and that was over the course of 8 months. Their status pages keep historical stability reports so you can actually see how much up time there really is.

Our company currently has nearly 2000 employees with roughly 1600 of them in the system. Thus far, I haven't seen any real concerns with regards to scaling the tool to match our needs. The pilot group started with 20 or so people so that should give you a general idea.

I have not had one issue with Customer Service. They are generally quick to answer your questions (either by phone or by ticket) and if they don't know, they dig until they find out why. I have not received the response "that's just the way it is" with regards to any of my questions. Even if the tool currently does not do what I would like it to, they are extremely helpful in finding out why and offering to submit an enhancement request on my behalf.

I've ran into a few technical issues over the course of 8 months and there have a been a few times where tech support will jump on Skype or Adobe Connect and work out the issue with me. They are more than willing to take the time to find out what's going on and fixing it. Depending on how large of an issue, it can sometimes take time to get corrected, but I haven't had one issue not be resolved.

Previously, we had a proprietary solution for workflow management, but it wasn't as robust as we would have liked. With resources being allocated to more important projects, we needed something that would fill that gap and AtTask was it. We were also using SharePoint for some document storage and project management. The problem was that it was a fairly old version and didn't have the support it needed to be successful.

The initial setup was complex and does require some technical understanding, but also understanding of your company's needs and objectives. This will ensure better configuration, but also increased success rates of user adoption.

Implementation Team

Our implementation was all done in-house. No outside vendors were used.

ROI

We currently have qualitative ROI, but we are currently gathering the quantitative ROI based upon A/B split testing and performance gains across the enterprise.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

For cost inquiries, I would suggest contacting AtTask directly and speaking with them. They may or may not be a good fit, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Other Solutions Considered

Out of the box AtTask had more things pre-done so you could literally use it day one if you wanted to. Not recommended since more of the functionality needs to be configured, but day 1 it could be used. SharePoint and Project Online are both great tools, but the amount of configuration to get it to do what was needed wasn't worth the time spent in comparison to using a tool that already had it built in. Daptiv and other project management solutions were considered, but the workflow management aspect coupled with project management is was clinched it.

Other Advice

AtTask is a great project management and workflow management tool. It also takes care of portfolio and program management as well, which are part of the project management ecosystem. This is where AtTask shines and where I would suggest it being implemented. If you're looking to go beyond those areas, it may be possible to implement AtTask, but you may want to look more towards another solution that specifically handles what you're working to solve. An example of this would be trying to use AtTask as a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool. Technically, you probably could shoehorn a CRM into AtTask, but that's not what it was designed to handle. You're better off using Salesforce or something similar in that scenario.

1 visitor found this review helpful