Worksoft Certify Review

Has a no-code solution for automation, so our QA team and business users can work on it

What is our primary use case?

Our eCommerce platform is Hybris. We run end-to-end tests where we place orders in Hybris, then we validate the order in ECC. Additionally, when an order is placed on Hybris, our QA environment has a lot of things which the SAP analysts have to prepare to get an order ready, so it doesn't clutter up the system, such as creating deliveries. Worksoft can do this for us as well.

Hybris is out most modern application. Our point of sale system is web-based, and it is in web form. We are on Azure. One of the things that we've been able to do is use Jenkins to put our Azure machines on business hours. We tell them to turn it off at 5 PM, then we tell them to turn it on at 7 AM. This has saved us about 62 percent of computer operations.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to Worksoft, there were three different individuals within the company who worked collectively for about three years trying to automate just one of our smoke tests for our point of sale system. A lot of them got pretty far, but they weren't able to finish. However, with Worksoft, we have been able to automate six of our smoke tests in four months.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is having a no-code solution for automation, so our QA team and some of our business users can work on automation. Then, they don't have to be developers.

Most of our SAP analysts use LiveTouch. They use LiveTouch along with prebuilt components. Our QA team uses LiveTouch when they need to add things.

What needs improvement?

I would like to learn how to get better logs for their support team.

Less than one year.

It is fairly stable. We have run into some intermittent bugs off and on that we can't explain. Since they are typical Window's stuff, you just kill them.

When it is unstable, there will be times when a test that we are running in Certify will just stop, and it will say, "Aborted." There will be errors. There will be no explanation as to why it happens. It has now happened maybe one out of 20 times. When it happens, I just tell our QA team to stop Certify and restart it, hoping we don't see it again.

Scalability is throttled in part by the system that you are testing. So, how much testing can your system handle?

I think they came out with a different type of licensing specifically for testing. Therefore, you don't have to use a more expensive user license, you can use an automation license. So potentially, if we had 100 use cases, we could spin up a 100 different machines, have them all run and be done in five minutes. That would be the goal, but I don't know if that would actually succeed or not.

For the couple of the issues that we were really scratching our heads over, we were in communication with the technical support several times, but they never got back to us. The issues are not critical because they're not really blocking anything. They're just annoying.

We needed a first step in order to get into DevOps. The first step was being able to automate our smoke tests and regression tests. They are tests that we use to make sure that our SAP environments are viable and our point of sale system. We chose Worksoft because they were the only people who we could find which were capable of automating SAP right out-of-the-box.

We needed a faster feedback loop. We have a third-party who develops our Hybris application for us and wanted to be able to hook into their Git repository, so when they push a new version, it would automatically deploy and run our smoke tests. Then, I can know within ten minutes if it works.

The new environment was pretty straightforward to set up. There were four servers, and maybe a fifth one, if you wanted to have a separate server for automation testing.

Some of the integration depends on the subject matter expertise on your team. How well do they know ECC and their processes? Then teaching them how to use Certify to build out their processes. So, on a scale of one to ten, it is probably a seven if you are not familiar with some of the development principles, like looping. If you are not familiar with them, then it will become more difficult to build out processes needed. This is just understanding the methodology of doing certain things, not Worksoft specifically.

The IT department and I worked with a Worksoft deployment engineer because of all of our Worksoft infrastructure. She walked us through setting up the database in SQL and the MongoDB with Worksoft Analyze. It was a pleasant experience. Most of the issues that we ran into were because I did not know something.

Because we haven't built out our suite of tests yet, we haven't saved that much time. However, we know that it will allow us to save a lot of time and money, because once we are fully DevOps, we'll be able to spin up and spin down our systems on demand. Then, we will know within 30 minutes whether the system deployed successfully or not.

We did not evaluate any other vendors. We didn't find anything else that did what we wanted.

What other advice do I have?

if you can use Azure or AWS for your Worksoft infrastructure, then use that for ease of deployment. Once you have your environment, then you can save it using Infrastructure as Code. Thus, if you needed to rebuild or repurpose it, you would be able to do it.

We haven't taken advantage of all the current functionality.

We hardly use the Capture 2.0 feature at all.

More Worksoft Certify reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with Micro Focus UFT One
Learn what your peers think about Worksoft Certify. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.