WSO2 API Manager Review

Open-source solution that's fully containerized and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

One of the main use cases for our organization is that we can use it as a digital integration hub. You can also use it as a base for a marketplace or open banking.

We are using it for the enablement of a digital service or digital integration hub. We are helping small customers to digitalize their services. We select the best of these services and solutions and trying to deploy them in our platform and expose them to several different clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution is open-source.

The main feature that I like the most is that it is a containerized solution. The API solution is fully containerized. It also has a micro-gateway.

You can scale the solution up and down easily. It's not a monolith. It's a containerized solution. It's an important and strong feature. It's fully flexible.

The solution has a stack and different products that fit well to my requirements, such as a micro-integrator, analytics, streaming integration, and identity access management.

What needs improvement?

I'm using the open-source version, therefore my comments are basically related to just the open-source version. I specify this, due to the fact that, if you have a subscription, you can have access to enterprise support. I need to work within the open-source community to get answers. When I deal with the stack overflow, it's a complex item that could easily be addressed by technical support, and yet, I don't have access to them on my current system. It would be helpful if the solution offered more communication about their technology and services. It would be useful for those of us on the open-source option.

Since the product is updated periodically there are lots of provisions. The documentation could be stronger and maybe the community support could be stronger. I don't have the luxury of turning to their in-house technical support to help me troubleshoot. I'm reliant on documentation and the community.

The stability is pretty good, but it could be improved.

It would be ideal, for our purposes, if the solution offered GraphQL support for the micro-gateway.

I haven't been using the solution for too long. It may be about six months at this point.

The stability is pretty good. I'd rate it at four out of five. We didn't encounter intermittent issues and as long as you tailer your architecture or deployment pattern according to your project requirements you will not have lots of issues.

The solution scales really well as it is containerized. You can easily add more containers and built it out as much as you need to, or take them away and scale down. It's very easy to accomplish.

We have about 20 people using the solution currently.

We don't have access to technical support as we are using the open-source version. We need to rely on documentation and the community to help us troubleshoot.

Before using this solution I used Apigee. I chose this product over Apigee due to the fact that I could start with an open-source version. It was an advantage. My preference was choosing open-source.

I know that Apigee has stronger capabilities, however, I want everything going to open-source solutions. Also, this solution has other components such as the micro integrator, access management, and other capabilities that were appealing. You can easily integrate with the API manager as well. There were just a lot of up-sides to making the switch.

The solution is not complex to implement. It's straight forward. You have access to charts and you have templates for different deployment patterns that you can follw. It's very easy to deploy.

You can really tailor your installation, depending on your own requirements. The complexity comes from the project being deployed and not the product itself. In our case, we don't have any complexity, and therefore it was easy to install and deploy.

If you are just using a template, you can deploy the solution in less than one hour. After that, you need customization and configuration to happen. That will take some time. The running version of this software was almost one week for our scenario. Then for the API manager to do their work, I can say it will take less than one week.

You only need about three senior developers for maintenance purposes. Currently, we are working with one architect and two engineers for maintenance activities.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need the assistance of a consultant or integrator.

If you are using open-source, it's not expensive. If you choose to upgrade to get enterprise support, then you need a subscription and it has a cost. I am not using the enterprise support and I don't have a subscription. Therefore, I'm not technically paying for the product at all.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'm currently using the open-source version of the solution. We're evaluating 3.2.0.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at an eight. If it offered better stability and more documentation, I'd rate it a bit higher.

Private Cloud

3.0.0.
More WSO2 API Manager reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about WSO2 API Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.